Today abstraction is no longer that of the map, the double, the mirror, or the concept. Simulation is no longer that of a territory, a referential being, or a substance. It is the generation by models of a real without origin or reality: a hyperreal. The territory no longer precedes the map, nor does it survive it. It is nevertheless the map that precedes the territory – precession of simulacra – that engenders the territory, and if one must return to the fable, today it is the territory whose shreds slowly rot across the ext of the map. It is the real, and not the map, whose vestiges persist here and there in the derts that are no longer thos of the Empire, but ours. The desert of the real life.” – Jean Baudrillard, Simulacra and Simulation.
The Myth of Maps
March 7, 2010 by Will Martin
- - NURTUREart presents Videorover: Season 7-a variety of films and video considering “winter”.
- - TO LOOK AWRY: LATIN AND SPANISH EXPERIMENTAL DOC PROGRAM AT ANTHOLOGY NEXT MONTH CO-PRESENTED BY UNIONDOCS
- - Final push for the Berry Street Community Garden Crowdsourcing Campaign launched by Collaborative Studio Alumni Anthony Simon and Michael Vass
- - Jean-Pierre Rehm brings a taste of FIDMarseille to New York City this weekend with programs at UnionDocs and the Museum of the Moving Image
- - “Remote Voyages” is a video installation created by Laura Chipley, Sarah Nelson Wright and Nathan Kensinger in a series of immersive voyages from The Newtown Creek Armada, projected from floating boats.
- - IFP Launches Made in NY Media Center in DUMBO and 2013 Membership Drive
- - DOC NYC is back November 14th-21st Featuring Of Memory and Los Sures
- - Peter Mettler: Pictures of Light, a mid-career retrospective this weekend at the Film Society of Lincoln Center
- - Q and A with Filmmakers Omar Mullick and Bassam Tariq of These Birds Walk-Now playing at Village East Cinema
- - Find out what SocDoc is all about!
- - UnionDocs Collaborative Alums featured in Upcoming Creative Time Summit This weekend
- - UnionDocs Collaborative Alums give back by launching fundraiser to help subject of their film.
- - Two Master Classes: Sam Pollard and Simon Chinn
- - The Standby Program’s 30th Anniversary Benefit
- - Margaret Mead Film Festival kicks off tonight, featuring a panel with Toby Lee and several New York Premieres